🇵🇱 HISTORY_PL 🇵🇱
February 13, 1945, to the area of the deserted Gross-Rosen camp in Lower Silesia the troops of the Soviet Third Armored Army arrived. Today, Rogoźnica lies here. During World War II, the Germans established a labor camp here. As the members of his crew admitted in testifying at the trial in Hamburg, it was one of the heaviest concentration camps. The first transport of prisoners arrived here on August 2, 1940. Initially, it was a branch of KL Sachsenhausen. In May 1941 he was transformed into an independent unit. Primitive rooms, starvation rations of food and water contributed to the deaths of thousands of prisoners who were here. In the second half of 1944, Gross-Rosen became a place for the transfer of tens of thousands of prisoners evacuated from the camps in the east. Here, among others prisoners from Auschwitz arrived. The death march left Gross-Rosen shortly before the entry of the Soviet army. The Red Army conquered the camp without prisoners on February 14, 1945. At the end of the war, the Nazis began to build a gas chamber and enlarge the crematorium. They did not manage to finish these works. The Germans tried to obliterate the existence of the camps on Himmler's orders, hence so many people died in the last weeks before the liberation, many did not survive evacuation and march into the depths of the Reich. Over 125,000 prisoners passed through KL Gross-Rosen, of whom 40,000 died. Many SS men from the camp staff have escaped the punishment. The most cruel of the SS, Karl Gallasch, who killed about five people every day, was sentenced to death. He hanged on May 19, 1947 in a prison cell in Wroclaw. Friedrich Entress, the head doctor of the SS in KL Gross-Rosen, who performed injections of phenol in prisoners, received a death sentence and was executed. Kindly fate dealt with the last camp commandant - Johannes Hassebroek. In 1948, the British Military Tribunal sentenced him to death for crimes committed in concentration camps. Two years later, he was sentenced to 15 years in prison, and already in September 1954 he was released. He died in 1977 in Westerstede.