Almost everyone did this as a child. If you did not give, you definitely received.
What is a BASE?
A base is a peace offering, usually a small portion of food given by a benevolent eater to an unrepentant 'Kpecher'. In primary school, we called it 'Beggi-Beggi'. It can be given happily, grudgingly, as reward for an earlier favour, or as payment in advance for a future favour. Some people are known to have forcefully given or received out of blackmail.
How To Receive or Give A Base
1. Directly in your hand, folded in the shape of a bowl. If the base is big, or you are getting more than one base, you are advised to use both hands.
2. On a paper. Sometimes, the food is too hot to get in your hands, so you scamper around for hard paper.
3. โLid of a bowl. If the giver has a lid (cover), you can borrow it to receive. But this is usually for more than one base.
4. โDirectly in your mouth. Some people just open their mouth while the giver feeds them directly. These ones are the real banbialas. ๐
5. โTake charge of the spoon. Some beggars are tush. They beg with pride. They will hijack the spoon from you and take it as they desire. Some of them even have the effrontery to still ask for meat. Ndi Uchu ๐
6. โRemain for me in the bowl. This is the highest level of pride. They will demand that you remain for them. If you refuse to leave meat, they will return your food to you. Iberibe. ๐๐ 7. โBullies. These ones don't want your food. They only want the meat. And they don't care how you feel about it. Onye Ara. ๐ก
Where do you belong?
Lie and choose your thunder.